As of Monday, June 25, 2018, the Murfreesboro Police Department will officially operate out of the new Police Headquarters facility located at 1004 North Highland Ave. The new location will be open for public business beginning at 8 a.m. Monday.
The previous headquarters located at 302 S. Church St. will no longer be accessible to the public. This includes any adjacent buildings located on S. Church St. that were previously used by the Murfreesboro Police Department.
The relocation of the Police Department to Highland Avenue provides both interior and exterior space for expansion in a growing city and interjects new life to the area after the hospital and medical clinic relocated to the Gateway. Amenities and technical capabilities featured in the new headquarters include:
- An 80-seat Community Room to the right of the main lobby for engaging the community.
- An 80-seat Training Room on first floor with teleconferencing capabilities.
- A 9-1-1 Communications Center on the second floor for emergency dispatch.
- A state-of-the-art multi-room Crime/Forensics Lab for processing evidence.
- A 320-degree Training Simulator for virtual officer scenario training.
The new Police Headquarters replaces the 45-plus year-old main headquarters which has been located at 302 South Church Street since 1973. The criminal investigations division had been housed at 1734 South Rutherford Boulevard. In 1973, Murfreesboro’s population was less than 30,000 and has grown to over 128,000 people. The facility is designed to meet future growth from 260 sworn officers today to over 400 personnel in the future.
For City News online, visit www.Murfreesborotn.gov.