Community Grant Application
The Community Grant Application period for the 2024-2025 budget year has ended. The next application period will begin in October 2024.
The Community Investment Trust welcomes local nonprofit charitable organizations to apply for its annual Community Grant. Charitable organizations who provide services that benefit the City of Murfreesboro are invited to review the application guidelines and how to apply information below.
Grant applications are accepted October 1 through October 31st each year for projects to take place during a fiscal year of July 1 to June 30. Award announcements are made in March of the application year.
Application Forms to be uploaded with your application:
The following materials are provided for your review on how to access the grant application portal. The online application portal can only be accessed between October 1 to October 31st.
- Our 990 form line 33 does not match up with the requested information on the Financial Questionnaire. If we use our current 990, it would be line 32. What should we do?
We have corrected our form to reflect the correct line is 32 and not 33 (an older 990 form was used, causing the discrepancy). If your Financial Questionnaire form reflects the 990 reference line as 33, please disregard the 33 and reference line 32 from your most recent 990 as a guide for completing this information.
Additionally, some non-profits may have other additional financial factors, such as endowments, that may be reported differently and cause the financial information to not align specifically with the 990 information represented on the Financial Questionnaire. Please complete the questionnaire to the best of your ability and feel free to add explanations statements to the form or attach explanations as a separate sheet. Please be sure to upload as one PDF document. If you need to merge two PDF documents, a free application website at IlovePDF.com allows you to do that. iLovePDF | Online PDF tools for PDF lovers
- Can this grant opportunity be used for general operating, or is it limited to special projects?
The grant criteria do not exclude an agency from requesting operating expenses.
- We have more than one person who works on our grant applications. Can more than one person have access to our application to assist with completing the application?
Yes, this is done through the “Collaborator” feature on the application. Please use this link to learn how to use this feature with your application process:
- Our organization has a Tennessee Charitable Solicitation registration and has a (sales) tax exemption letter from Tennessee and an EIN. We consider ourselves to be a nonprofit, do we qualify?
Qualifying charitable organizations (i.e. nonprofit organizations) must be legally chartered in Tennessee and in possession of a determination letter from the Internal Revenue Service declaring the organization a public charity. A copy of the IRS Letter of Determination is required to be submitted with the application as proof of your “nonprofit” status.
- Our organization serves all of Rutherford County, can we still apply?
As long as your organization meets the eligibility criteria and the activities you are proposing to use the Community Investment Funds on are specifically being used to benefit the community and/or residents of Murfreesboro. Trust funds cannot be used to support activities outside Murfreesboro City limits.
- We provide services in Murfreesboro, but our offices are located outside of Murfreesboro, are we still eligible to apply?
Yes, as long as activities using Trust funds are being held within and for the benefit of the Murfreesboro Community.
- What attachments will be required?
Applicants must be prepared to attach the organization’s IRS charitable determination letter, Board of Directors list, Organization Chart, most recent 990 forms, Project budget (template provided), and Financial Questionnaire (form provided). Optional attachments will be letters of support or MOU’s.
- Will projects be funded for more than one year?
Project period for funding is for one year.
- What are the reporting requirements?
If funded, awardees will be required to submit a mid-year and a final report.
- When will awards be announced?
It is anticipated that awards will be announced in March.