Imagine A Day Without Water High School PSA Video Contest 2023
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT VIDEO CONTEST
Imagine NO water to drink or even to make coffee with. No water to shower, flush the toilet or wash your laundry. Without water, Hospitals would close. Firefighters could not put out fires, and farmers would not be able to water their crops. What a dismal image this day would be.
Some communities in America already know how impossible it is to try to go a day without our most precious resource: Water. Every day when water is used, many Americans take it for granted.
Imagine a Day Without Water campaign is the seventh annual event to raise awareness and educate Americans about the value of drinking water. Secondly, highlights the importance of maintaining our water treatment infrastructures.
WHO: City of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County, Private, and Public High School students, Grades 9th - 12th.
WHAT: The participants should upload their video entries in our Imagine A Day Without Water High School Student Video Contest to spotlight specific areas, by grade, in a 30-second to 60-second Public Service Announcement (PSA) video related to water.
WHEN: The national “Imagine A Day Without Water” campaign on Thursday, October 19, 2023.
WHERE: Student Registration and Video submissions can be uploaded between Saturday, September 9 – Monday, October 9, 2023. The link will be available on September 1st. Click Here to register.
HOW: Participants will reach the PSA definition and forms and depict their understanding of this unique communication form by producing, filming, and editing a video that illustrates the area of focus based on their current grade level.
• 9TH GRADE THEME WATER AND PUBLIC HEALTH
• 10TH GRADE THEME WATER AND FOOD SUPPLY
• 11TH GRADE THEME AFFORDABILITY OF WATER
• 12TH GRADE THEME HOW TO COUNTER DROUGHTS IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE
WHY: This campaign helps raise awareness of water’s value and the need to reinvest in water and wastewater infrastructure in small and large cities.
PRIZES: One winner from each grade category will be awarded a gift card, an IADWW T-shirt, and a certificate. After October 19, 2023, MWRDCA will coordinate the presentation date/time in conjunction with the student and administration. The awards will be presented at the student’s school.
• Ninth & Tenth Grade winners will be awarded at the $100 level.
• The Eleventh & Twelfth Grade winners will receive $200 awards.
Murfreesboro Water Resources Department- Community Affairs Division | 300 MW Broad St, Murfreesboro, TN 37130
1. One entry per student, or teacher for their class.
2. One award, per grade, to the first person named on the registration form.
3. Upload a 30-sec min - 60-sec max themed PSA Video based on the current grade. Below are the themes for each grade level;
• 9th grade - Water and Public Health.
• 10th grade - Water and Food Supply.
• 11th grade - Affordability of Water.
• 12th grade - How to counter droughts in Middle TN?
4. The selected winner MUST submit video content in the (.mp4) format along with a completed registration form.
5. All videos must be uploaded with the registration form before October 9, at the 11:59 PM deadline to be considered. The video MUST INCLUDE the phrase “Imagine A Day Without Water” and one of three phrases: The Murfreesboro Water Resources Department, Water Users, or H2O Hero(es).
6. To be eligible, each entrant must currently attend a Rutherford County high school and must be in grade levels 9th -12th. Twelfth-grade plus students due to dual are eligible and submit entries within the 12th-grade entrants. City of Mboro Private High Schoolers are welcome.
7. Individuals may submit no more than ONE video entry. Teachers may submit no more than ONE video entry per school.
8. All submitted work must be the original work of the entrant and must not include, be based on, or derived from any pre-existing or third-party trademarks or copyrighted media.
9. All video entries will become the property of the Murfreesboro Water Resources Department. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees that any and all intellectual property rights in the video are deemed to be reassigned to The City of Murfreesboro.
10. Except where prohibited by law, an entry submission into this contest constitutes permission to use the winner’s name, likeness, prize information, and information provided on the entry form for publicity purposes, without further permission or compensation.
MWRD Community Affairs will work with a team to evaluate all entries based on the following criteria:
RELEVANCE – Does the video align with the theme, use the word "Imagine A Day Without Water."
Plus use one of three particular phrases (The Murfreesboro Water Resources Department, or Water Users, or H2O Hero(es)), carry a compelling message to call the viewer to action, and demonstrate that the student understood how to communicate through a Public Service
ORIGINALITY – Does the video content exhibit originality, creativity, and imagination? Was the message complex and unique?
AESTHETIC QUALITY – Does the video command attention? Were the lighting, acoustics, and speech optimized to complement or carry the message? Does the video title, start, body, and ending audio, settings, gestures, props, etc., complement the message?
PLEASE NOTE: MWRD Community Affairs reserves the right not to award a winner in a grade category if no entries are submitted, or if unsuitable or sub-standard video entries are submitted.