Beer & Liquor Permits

Information regarding local laws related to alcohol can be found in Chapter 4 of the Murfreesboro City Code.

Beer Permits

Beer permit applications may be obtained from the finance department or by mail. There is a $250 non-refundable application fee and the application process can be lengthy. Interested applicants should apply well in advance before they open or buy a business. The City of Murfreesboro does not issue temporary permits. The City Council is the Beer Board, and beer applications are considered during regularly scheduled City Council meetings. There is a $100 annual beer privilege tax. Please call our office at (615) 893-5210 if you have questions or would like an application emailed to you.

Liquor-by-the-Drink License

Liquor-by-the-drink licenses are issued by the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission (ABC). The City of Murfreesboro is to receive a copy of the state liquor license application and also has an additional questionnaire to be completed by the applicant. The annual fee is determined according to seating available at the establishment. The business will pay the annual fee to both the state and to the city on an annual basis.

Retail Liquor Package Store License

A license for a retail liquor package store must be obtained from the ABC. Before an application can be submitted, the applicant must be approved by Murfreesboro City Council. A $100 fee must be submitted along with an application. Additionally, the business must be posted as applying for a liquor license (new location or new owner). The applicant must pay to advertise in the local paper they have applied for a liquor license and when the public hearing will be to consider the application. The City will provide the information for the advertisement.