Bus & Bus Stop Accessibility
Each bus in the Murfreesboro Transit fleet is lift-equipped, which means that all buses are accessible to passengers who use wheelchairs.
While all Murfreesboro Transit buses are wheelchair-accessible, Murfreesboro Transit bus stops are not. Please become familiar with bus stops so you will be prepared and know what to expect; feel free to contact us for more information.
Murfreesboro’s Complimentary ADA Paratransit service is operated by Mid-Cumberland Human Resources Agency. This service provides much needed transportation to the citizens of Murfreesboro who might not otherwise be able to get to work, the doctor, or other life assisting/sustaining destinations.
Paratransit eligibility is defined by the ADA (49 CFR PART 37.123) and includes three categories:
- ADA Category 1: A person who is unable to board, ride, or exit any vehicle independently on the fixed route system that is readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities.
- ADA Category 2: A person who needs the assistance of a wheelchair lift and one is not available on the fixed route service during the time the individual wishes to travel. (All Murfreesboro Transit fixed route vehicles are fully accessible.)
- ADA Category 3: A person who has an impairment-related condition that prevents getting to or leaving a bus stop.
To participate in the Murfreesboro Public Transit Eligibility Process, the following must occur:
- Effective February 1, 2022 all NEW applicants MUST live within ¾ mile of a Fixed Route to be considered for eligibility.
- A professional familiar with the applicant’s condition(s) completes a Professional Verification. (typically, the applicant’s primary physician)
- The applicant mails the Applicant Questionnaire and Professional Verification paperwork to the Eligibility Coordinator.
- If necessary, after review of the application, the applicant participates in the in-person eligibility appointment consisting of an orientation, an interview, and (as needed) an assessment of the applicant’s functional abilities. In most cases this may not be necessary.
- The applicant may, if desired, present additional documentation regarding the applicant’s functional abilities.
- Following completion of these steps and receipt of any additional requested information, the Eligibility Department is then able to make an eligibility determination.
Click here for the Paratransit Policies and Procedures (Spanish).
Should you have any questions or need a application mailed to you, please contact the Eligibility Coordinator at 615-801-3039.
Click here for a printable Paratransit Eligibility Application.
Click here for a printable Paratransit Eligibility Application (Spanish).
Please complete and return your application to the address below:
City of Murfreesboro – Public Transit
111 West Vine Street
P.O. Box 1139
Murfreesboro, TN 37133-1139
MCHRA Public Transit
Click here to access the MCHRA Public Transit website.
MCHRA Public Transit offers wheelchair lift-equipped mini-buses with origination to destination service. This service is scheduled and provided at any requested time on a particular day in response to a request for service made the previous day. However, MCHRA may negotiate pick-up times with the individual.
Hours & Fees
The operating hours are Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. and the price for this service is $2 per one-way trip.
Schedule a Trip
To schedule a trip, please call MCHRA Public Transit at 615-890-2677.